Vanderlande, a specialist supplier of automated material handling systems celebrates ...
Rio de Janeiro Airport Baggage Handling System
Category: Automated Baggage Handling | Baggage Handling | 24/07/2012 - 04:33:51
Vanderlande Industries gain the contract to supply a new baggage handling system for Rio de Janeiro airport. This will be the first completely automatic baggage sorting and handling system installed in Brazil and will be supported by a full suite of O&M services.
Airport Baggage Handling System
The new baggage system will service 106 check-in stations with full hold baggage screening facilities and automatic sorting of baggage from transfers and departures. The installation will include a new arrivals system, three years of O&M services and supporting IT systems. The system will be the first wholly automatic luggage sorting and handling system with built in hold-baggage screening in South America.
Galeão International Airport
Vanderlande Industries' Brazilian area director, Erik Cappendijk, commented: "As Vanderlande Industries, we believe that this will enable Galeão International Airport to establish their reputation and market position as an attractive international hub for Brazil. It will also enable Galeão International Airport to implement multiple processes towards improved passenger and airline satisfaction levels."
The airport will see the introduction of efficient check-in systems to cut queueing times, ensure efficient padssenger throughput and offer differentiated services for airlines (such as guaranteed connections and differentiation of economy and business class) The system will facilitate decreased handling costs, whilst raising earnings from airport shops, since passengers will have more time to spend shopping.
4,000 Items Per Hour
Rio de Janeiro airport's baggage handling facilities will accommodate as much as 4000 bags an hour. It contains a pair of subsystems, each with three system lines featuring level 1 and 2 X-ray screening systems plus a BAXORTER loop sorter for final-stage sorting to make-up chutes. Every subsystem will feature a built-in CT scanner supporting level 3 screening with a redundant backup carousel. The baggage handling machinery will be linked with airline IT systems to improve performance for passengers and airlines, and cut baggage loss to a minimal ammount.
Airport Operations and Maintenance Services
Vanderlande's will offer full Operations and Maintenance services to maintain excellent baggage handling performance. Mr Cappendijk advised: "We believe that this will significantly improve the competitive position of Galeão International Airport by enabling the continuous attention on improving airline and passenger satisfaction levels, among others as reviewed by IATA. It will facilitate the growth in passenger volumes, realise cost savings in operational & maintenance processes and add value to airport operations as it enables the implementation of smart baggage processes for the long term."
Vanderlande Industries' O&M team will provide the airport with site based support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and ensure 99.9% availability of the baggage handling system for efficient operations.
Tecnenge Tecnologia de Engenharia LTDA
Vanderlande Industries and the Brazilian organisation, Tecnenge Tecnologia de Engenharia LTDA have formed a consortium for the Galeão International Airport project. of which Vanderlande own a 95% share and Tecnenge own the remaining 5%. Tecnenge are experienced with servicing and installation procedures at the airport. They will manage the installation with vanderlande's support. Both organisations will add their unique skills to the project to achieve excellent results in time for the 2014 World Cup and the 2016 Olympic Games in Brazil.
Vanderlande Industries in Brazil.
Vanderlande Industries now have a Sao Paulo branch. Combined with their work at Galeão International Airport, this will give them a local opresence in Brazil, allowing them to offer impressive, ongoing support services. The local branch will provide new employment opprtunities in the region, and stimulate the economy via its supply chain, services and development projscts. The supply chain will combine the best of local and international resources to maintain world-class performance whilst fulfilling the requirements of the BNDES (Brazilian Investment Bank) and government.